CHC43115 – CERTIFICATE IV IN DISABILITY
CRICOS COURSE CODE: 096931G
The CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability is a 12 to 18-month course, delivered through blended learning experience of either face-to-face and/ self-paced classroom learning, which provides students with a range of skill and knowledge to provide person-centred support to those in need due to a disability such as:
MANAGE BEHAVIOUR AND COMPLEX NEEDS
WORK IN HEALTH AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
SUPPORT & EMPOWERMENT OF PEOPLE WITH A DISABILITY
CHC43115 – CERTIFICATE IV IN DISABILITY
This certificate IV in Disability course will prepare you for work as a disability support worker in a client’s home or a community organisation. You’ll help people with an intellectual or physical disability, by empowering them to become more independent and self-reliant, so they can participate in community activities. People working at this level may be a supervisor or manage the performance of other team members.
Considera Certificate IV in Disability to help people with disabilities live life to the fullest. You will learn to provide training and support in a manner that empowers people with disabilities to achieve greater levels of independence, self-reliance, community participation and well-being. Work with children, people with special needs, older Australians and people from different cultural backgrounds in this rewarding and fulfilling career. Having additional industry work experience can be an added benefit.Students may undertake this course as a pathway to further your career with a Diploma of Community Services.
With person-centred care, each person is treated as a complete human being with their own life story, values, culture, interests and beliefs. Support from others is tailored to meet the person’s individual situation, unique needs and goals.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Entry requirements are in place to make sure that students who gain entry to these courses have the skills and abilities they require in order to successfully complete their studies.
- Students need be 18 year and older and have completed year 12.
- Student visa applicants under the age of 18 and who have completed year 12 will be accepted where they demonstrate that they will be accompanied by a parent, legal custodian or a suitable relative who is aged 21 or over, and they will turn 18 before their course commences. This arrangement requires the approval of the Department of Home Affairs. For more information visitDepartment of Home Affairs – Welfare Requirements for Student Visa Applicants under 18.
- International students whose first language is not English will be tested prior to the commencement of Vocational Education and Training Courses.
- Educare requires an IELTS 5.5 with no band less than 5, or equivalent (as determined by Educare College Australia) or satisfactory completion of 12 weeks of General English with one of our English education partners.
- For international student who are not confident in meeting our Literacy and numeracy skills, we request that you contact us to discuss additional pathways you may undertake first to achieve our basic entry requirements.
- Before students undertake work placement blocks, they must ensure they hold Police Clearance and required blue Card
The certificate IV in Disability is delivered over 32 weeks face to face which includes 14 units of study and 120 hours work placement component. Work placements will be pre- arranged with approved care facility partners and arrangements will supported by the college. Students may decide to choose or focus on a specialisation including Ageing, Home care services, Community services and Disability Care.
The face to face training component has been designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge required to become a carer in the community and/or residential setting and to follow an individualised plan which is tailored to provide person-centred support to persons needing this support.
QUALIFICATION UNITS OF COMPETENCY
|Manage legal and ethical compliance|
|Follow safe work practices for direct client care|
|Provide individualised support|
|Follow established person-centred behaviour supports|
|Develop and provide person-centred responses|
|Facilitate the empowerment of people with a disability|
|Facilitate community participation and social inclusion|
|Facilitate ongoing skills development using a person-centred approach|
|Provide person-centred services to people with a disability with complex needs|
|Work with diverse people|
|Recognise healthy body systems|
|Facilitate the interests and rights of clients|
Meet personal support needs
Support independence and wellbeing
FURTHER STUDY PATHWAYS
Upon completion of this course, students may further their studies with either CHC43015 Certificate IV in Ageing Support or CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services.
CAREER PATHWAYS AND OUTCOMES
A person with this level qualification will be able to:
Understand the rights of clients
Empower people with a disability to become more independent
Supervise or manage the performance of other team members
Coordinate and facilitate services
Develop networks and continuous improvement
Suitable Career outcomes may include;
Behavioural Support Officer
Residential Care Officer
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FEE OPTIONS
- Higher level course in packages is considered the principle course of study;
- Tuition fees are exclusive of all learning materials, enrolment fee and a Student ID card.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a visa requirement and is not a tuition fee.
- Educare College is affiliated with several OHSC providers. If your agent is unable to arrange this, please advise us and we would be happy to organise this on your behalf.
**For more information on payment plans, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
TEACHING & DELIVERY MODES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
At Educare key objectives are to ensure that the core focus of your learning experience is based on the practical applications of your study. Therefore, we support you by providing learning materials which are utilised during most of the following delivery modes such as:
Face to face facilitation and roleplays
Independent learning/simulated sessions
Group based workshops and discussions
FACE TO FACE/CLASSROOM AND ON THE JOB WORK PLACEMENT
International students must attend face to face in person for classroom full time sessions. Classroom lessons contact times will be min 20 hours each week. Lessons will be conducted in both theory and practical modes. Trainers may decide depending on the students’ knowledge and skills that are required to achieve competencies in their tasks, to interlace some theoretical information delivered during practical sessions. Most theoretical subjects will contain other modes such as role plays/PowerPoint presentations/videos/ and other interactive methods as required.
Certain competencies may also be assessed during work placement if required. The assessment is conducted by your assigned Trainer & Assessor from Educare who will evaluate your knowledge, skills and performance against the required workplace criteria to assess your competency in that specific area/unit. Manual Handling will form part of your practical assessment and will be conducted on campus first before your first block of work placement hours.
You will be provided a list of methods you will be assessed with in your Training Plan and Assessment strategy document in your orientation and induction week. Your assessor will address these in more detail during teaching times.
You will have access to our online learning system. You must have your own (laptop) computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software are required by all students to successfully undertake their study with Educare.
- You will receive your full class timetable during orientation week including details of when and where your individual classes will be held.
- Students studying at the Brisbane Campus will have a different timetable to the Gold Coast Campus.
- Your timetable may change each semester and you must be able to manage your commitments to ensure attendance at all your classes.
BRISBANE CAMPUS FACE TO FACE ATTENDANCE DAYS – CHC43115 CERTIFICATE IV IN DISABILITY
To view your class schedules please download sample timetable here for Brisbane
Work Placement forms an essential part of competency-based assessment and provides the student with practical job skills and work experience.
Students will undertake 120 placement hours in an aged care facility organised by Educare College. This placement will take place after the successful completion of class room activities and prescribed assessments which will be outlined in your induction and orientation timetables.
An individualised work placement log book along with your training plan will be provided to you by your assessor which you must use to record and track your course progress and work placement hours.
Students are required to do their work placement shifts determined during the times provided by the placement provider. Please note shifts can vary and may include mornings (commencing at 6am), evenings (finishing at 11pm) and possibly some night shifts between Monday and Sunday. Students are expected ensure their time management skills are utilised well in order to not only balance family and work commitments but also their vocational shifts.
Should the student’s assessment results not be satisfactory, they will be deemed not competent against those prescribed units. You may make necessary arrangements with your trainer to reassess your placement at another suitable time for all parties.
Prior to commencement of Vocational Placement students are required to organise and complete an Australian Federal Police Check. Students must obtain the Check to go on Placement and be able to complete the qualification. For students working within Queensland Health, as well as a police check you will also be required to obtain a Positive Notice for Child Related Employment (Blue Card) and have Hepatitis A & B immunisation before commencing Clinical Placements. It is recommended potential students begin Hepatitis vaccinations if required, as soon as possible to ensure timely completion.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES AND BENEFITS
Throughout the program, students will learn the skills to enable them to use discretion and judgement in relation to individual support as well as taking responsibility for their outputs. We at Educare college aim to assist you in providing you with opportunities to achieve the following outcomes:
- Link off job learning at college to on job training in the workplace.
- Establish pathways to qualifications nationally recognised by industry, education and vocational training authorities.
- Students may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to determine on an individual basis, the competencies obtained by a person through previous formal or informal training, work and/or life experience.
- Receive a Statement of Attainment or Certificate from Educare College listing competencies successfully achieved for each training program studied.
- Successful completion of a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) Assessment
WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAY
Without the hardwork, much effort of our very supportive and active trainer, no other than Miss Sallie Abell… we will not be here today..to my classmates who had come along with us, sharing our laughter, knowledge and enjoying our class…more power to ALL and the rest of EDUCARE COLLEGE staffs..and everyone..
VERHNA ESA COCH
Educare Student 2017
Thank you Lisa Dolby for your hard work and commitment you put in to help me achieve my goal if it wasn’t for you i wouldn’t be where i am today your such a lovely person always goes out of your way to help people im soooo thankful and i recommend you to any body who wants a trainer im going to miss our cheeky class talks lol but you the most once again thank you.
Educare Student 2017
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
Looking at starting your career in Disability Support?
Get in touch with us to arrange a suitable time for one of the Educare support team to help you get started on your career pathway in Disability Support.